For most people, creativity is a serious business. They forget the telling phrase ‘the play of ideas’ and think that they need to knuckle down and work more. Often, the reverse is true. They need to play.
– Julia Cameron
I came across this quote today – and it’s obvious to me that we all don’t play enough.
Being part of another 30-Day-Challenge, where you create something in 30 days and launch it, I am working on my project – and it feels like play.
I find myself thinking “oh, that was easy” and my inner critic going “you need to work more” when I am in fact okay with it.
Playing with your ideas, starting something for the fun of it and learning – that’s how it works.
When did you play for the last time? A week ago, a month ago or a long time ago?
Don’t beat yourself up – start now!
Here are some suggestions you can try – they all don’t take much time:
– grab a piece of paper and some coloring pens – time to be a child again
– you could also use a coloring book and relax into it – for me this often sparks new ideas.
– go outside for a walk, take a camera with you and just do it! Take pictures!
– if your dream project is too far away, go play with it anyway – do a collage and visualize it!
– go outside and collect laves and chestnuts and other stuff like we did as children – use them for collages or create little animals…
That’s just a few ideas to get you into play-mode…I am sure there’s a lot more.
Just try it – no need to be perfect, this is supposed to be fun!
If you’d like to share your ideas, please do. I’d love to hear how playing works for you.